Spring Break and Beyond

March 23, 2006 at 12:05 pm (Uncategorized)

Last week was my spring break and I was definitely broken. I managed a head cold, ear infections in both ears, conjunctivitis, and a bad reaction to some cough drops. Thankfully, I was visiting Brendan which made the situation much better. In total, I was in Brisbane for about five days. I spent the other part of my trip in Noosa, about an hour north of the city. We went to museums, got some good food, managed to catch a little bit of live music (and a lot of karaoke). We also tried gelati, went to the beach, and saw two movies (Match Point and Transamerica). Brisbane seems like a neat city and Noosa was a picturesque little town. Good coffee was available in both places- always a plus.

The strangest thing about break was the transition when I came back to Sydney. It was hard to believe that I would actually be coming back to this routine while I was still in Brisbane, but it seemed the closer I got to Kirribilli the gears in my mind all spun and clicked until I felt like I was coming home. I fear I have developed an attatchment to this place (which is not necessarily a good thing since Kirribilli is one of the most expensive suburbs of Sydney . . . even if I got back here some day I would not be able to afford to live a few feet down the street from John Howard).

This week I hit the ground running. I hadn’t been to my internship in two weeks because the week before vacation I was sick with a stomach bug. I had my share of menial tasks over the last four days . . . laminating . . . data entry . . . some dumb stuff with an excel spreadsheet. However, I also had the strangest encounters in my first couple of days back at work. I should say that due to the ear infections, which have not completely cleared out, I have some trouble hearing things. So I’ve been in my head a lot just listening to my own breathing and wondering if I have a fever. This has made me into a space cadet whenever I’m left alone for an extended period of time. It was in this state on Monday that I walked down the stairs in Merchant’s House to ask a question. I was met towards the bottom of the flight by a group of eight-year-olds who were on one of the learning adventure tours that comes through Merchant’s House. One of them looked up at me, raised his hand to point at me and screamed at the top of his lungs, “GHOOOOOOOSTTTTT!!!!!!!!!”. All of the little kids looked at me and I basically just kept walking and nervously pretended that I really was a ghost. I might add that my feelings were a little hurt since I thought my tan was coming along nicely.

Another day this week I spent a while in the museum, helping out. Usually, I make sure the water compartments in the air conditioners have been emptied and then windex some. As I was feeling particularly feverish on that day, I decided to take it easy and just keep the worker at the register company after I checked the AC’s. There is only one person working there all day so they get kind of lonely. We were having a grand old time (Ha) when Chris, another one of the ladies who works in the museum sometimes, came in to give the other woman a break. Chris and I have spoken before, so we proceeded to catch up a little. I told her I was sick and she started asking what I was doing for it. She recommended all of these herbal remedies (echinacea, watermelon-apparently good to help with decongestion, and thyme). She told me that she hasn’t been to a doctor in years, which impressed me. Then she kind of shouted, “Oh, I practice Reiki Healing, come here!”

She pulled me down to the end of the counter and instructed me to close my eyes and imagine a light shining above me. “I’ll keep watch,” she promised. I closed my eyes and I could feel her hands lightly brush my hair every now and again as she moved them around my head. “Hi there!” I heard her say and I opened my eyes to see a couple of people who had just walked in. I felt a little weird thinking that they might have seen what she was doing (which would have looked mighty strange to the un-enlightened) so I nervously waited until they had passed through the gift shop to the museum and announced that I should be moving on to my next task. Before I could go, Chris told me that there is sometimes a telepathic element to what she does, so she would continue to send me positive energy. She also said that when she was moving her hands around me she saw a couple of images: baseball, and a color that she couldn’t remember. That part made me think she might be a little wacky, but I have to say I was really creeped out ten minutes later when I was sitting at my computer and the main article on the wikipedia homepage was about an American/Chinese baseball rivalry.

Weee Hoooo. I had almost forgotten how spicy this internship can get. The real work that I did this week involved putting together a powerpoint presentation for the upcoming Heritage Prize awards. I thought my boss was going to do most of the work for it, but she ended up giving me all of the creative/content decisions. So basically, it’s my baby now and it will be continuously looping at the awards ceremony a week from tomorrow. I get to help out at that event as well; she suggested I take the company’s digital camera and be the photographer.

But that is more work for another week. Tomorrow the real party starts with the arrival of Peter William Axtman in the early afternoon. Oh yes, it’s going to be rambunctious.

Much love.


  1. MOM said,

    I am certain that there is no “ghost” gene in our family gene pool. Please find relief in knowing that I know who you really are and where you really come from!

  2. Pete "Not That Peter" Whinn said,

    Megggggggan! I like your mom’s entry above mine, although how can she really be so certain that there isn’t a bit of Caspar somewhere in your blood? Ghosts are people too, apparently according to small Australian children. It sucks that you were broken for your spring break – definitely some good planning going on there – but glad you made the best out of it. I just got back from my own little trip, and it was FRIGGIN AWESOME in every sense of the word, and I’ll tell you all about it as soon as I’m not too jetlagged to email.
    With considerable love and affection,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: